FastSpring and HyperWallet

Looks like after almost 10 years with FastSpring, it’s time to move on.
I have requested a quote from Paddle and let’s see how it goes.
Hyperwallet = more hassles and more waiting to get a payment. I see no “improvement” here.

2 Likes

We are entering the third week of endless email exchanges about the issue of invalid bank transfer stuck in our local bank here (I am in Israel). Every day I get response from FastSpring-Hyperwallet support that transfer was fixed. Every day I call my bank and they say that nothing was done. Asked numerous times to show me the MT103 transcript as the proof of actual bank transfer. No response. Things are starting to look rather strange.

Unfortunately, FastSpring is headed in the wrong direction both as to quality and service. Past two days a prospective customer has failed to make an order several times and there is no failed order in the Springboard backend.

And something funny. For another idea, I have registered a new account, lost one week for Integration and then I receive an email that FastSpring is not interested in serving such application - Ok, two more days and I have Gumroad but then I receive an email from the same guy with the bad news : "Here’s what your potential checkout could look like with FastSpring: … more marketing phrases … "

Something positive: Hyperwallet’s exchange rates seem to be better than PayPal’s.

Considering that the exchange rate for payments in EUR via FastSpring used to be less favorable than using PayPal, Hyperwallet is a significant improvement in this aspect.

1 Like

I am very disappointed with the quality of customer service from Paddle that I strongly discourage anyone from doing business with them … even when they were not a big company and the founder ((Christian) personally responded to customer emails it was very bad … now it’s even worse. … i use a different solution for licensing … it is reliable but support is awful too … maybe because they use Zendesk

This is no longer relevant, at least now. I’ll contact your company again in case we decide to move away from PPG.

It’s not that bad with HW. In our case, it only delayed the payments by one day, not a big deal. Another thing is FastSpring itself, it has its issues (for us - declined payments from legitimate customers and lots of minor annoying issues) so we decided to move on.

Sounds very familiar. And their customer service is really slow nowadays. Trivial things go without a response for days, even when sent a reminder.

I have successfully created Hyperwallet account and chose bank transfer in euros to my bank (located in EU) - bank transfers must be done in bank’s currency.
My customers pay for the product in US dollars and FastSpring displays my balance in springboard in US dollars.
In FastSpring I have set to fund my Hyperwallet account in euros ( HyperWalletDisbursementMethod Currency). Is this the best option regarding exchange rates or is it better to set this Hyperwallet funding in US dollars? Who actually performs this currency exchange dollars to euros in each of the two options (fund Hyperwallet in dollars or fund Hyperwallet in euros)? FastSpring or Hyperwallet?

Yeah, same for me. Sales are accumulated in US dollars by FastSpring, and then passed to hyperwallet as is without a fee. Then, if you ask Hyperwallet to do the USD to Euro conversion it will do so at a fair exchange rate (which they are not telling btw) and then the resulting euros are wired to your euro bank account. Good thing is that, because it’s euros sent to your bank, it should incur no fee, and no currency conversion fee either, meaning that, aside the exchange rate itself, FastSpring does not charge 15 USD anymore monthly for the wire, and your bank probably does not charge anything either since it’s in euros already. That is a win for us.
Will it last, I don’t know ? We should expect hyperwallet to begin charging for the wire itself anytime soon.

1 Like

Hi Kurt,

I’m sorry to write to you through this forum, but your support is getting worse and worse and I can’t get them to fix a bug. I hope you can talk to them more successfully than I can.

I have a client who, due to his geographical situation, does not pay taxes, but in his last invoices he has been charged with VAT. I wrote to support and they made a return, but when I asked them if this problem could have affected other customers, they replied that they had no technical capacity to verify it (!).

I consider it an unacceptable answer … but the worst thing is that the problem has happened again … Honestly, I have been working with you for years, but in recent times, everything works worse. There are serious problems, like a client who went a year without being charged until I realized it. When I spoke to support, they told me that it was not the policy of the company to take responsibility for these cases …
I do not understand that a company has a policy not to take responsibility for its mistakes.

Zimbra, sorry to hear about that. Can you email me so I can gather some of the details (order number)? There are a few reasons why tax treatment may legitimately change for a specific customer, but it’s feasible the error was a bug that I’ll be happy to take a look at. If it is truly an error/ bug then we will get it fixed asap. I can also look into the other issue you mention about a client not being charged for a year. My email is ksmith@fastspring.com. Thanks.

Stef8500, you have it right with one clarification. When you exchange funds (USD to EUR in your example) the fx rate is visible to you before you execute the transfer. It was important to us to provide 100% transparent rates and fees associated with getting your money out. The caveat to this is if you setup an automatic transfer, then you won’t be able to preview the rate in advance. One of the benefits of working with Hyperwallet here is their costs are very low (because they can leverage the large Paypal trading desk), so we were able to negotiate good fx rates that we pass through to sellers. These are not(!) the same retail paypal rates that are available through traditional paypal accounts. If you see lower rates elsewhere let me know, and I’ll see what I can do to get you something more competitive on our side via hyperwallet. Email me at ksmith@fastspring.com. Thanks.

Hi jx3358, I’d suggest you fund your Hyperwallet account in USD and then you’ll be able to preview all the fx rates before you make a transfer. The fx fees are the same, so no difference, but the fx rate visibility is better through Hyperwallet - to the extent that is important to you.

1 Like

I have already set my funding to dollars; my guess was that it is more logical since I sell in dollars and Hyperwallet will convert from dollars to euros. Thx Kurt for confirming this.

1 Like

Sadly this week I had again several failed orders and for one of them, there is no record in the failed Orders Report. Kurt, this is embarrassing, I am almost headed to 2CO.

I happened to look at a clients subscription and I saw three different tax rates in five months. We’re getting more and more complaints from our customers and we don’t understand this either. Support is taking multiple days now, even for simple requests. We can’t move existing clients away without significant effort, but we’re strongly considering onboarding new clients on a different provider.

Fastsprings bad service is now affecting our reputation too much. Our clients are emailing our customer support stating they LOVE to pay us but are UNABLE to.

Interesting to hear, because something similar happened with my FastSpring account. We have a customer in Missouri who FastSpring charged sales tax on just one invoice. They were perplexed and so was I.

1 Like

Please share your experience later, I see it was acquired recently and it may bring some unpleasant surprises too.

We’re using Paddle for 3 years, no issue with them so far except so invoices got charged tax because some of their partner system didn’t work at that time. Support for Paddle was bad 2 years ago, but it’s much better now, we get a reply in a few hours. We run 5 figures monthly with them, soon 6, not sure if that has something to do with it.