Setting up subscription based pricing for a desktop application

Any help would be great. I have a chrome based browser and would like to offer a free 1 month trial then charge yearly. I was looking at Paddle but I don’t think they will work because I want to offer a no credit card free trial. I also don’t have users or a server that would communicate or integrate with these services.

Anyone else find a simple solution to this problem?

I will need such a thing too, but here is something like that https://multipub.com/components/subscription-management/ although I think that for a one-man show it will be easier to make own.

Paging @Bianca_Dragan - can you help with this question about Paddle?

Hey Chris - sorry it took so long to reply.

Sadly, we have to ask for CC details for free trials. One workaround would be to manage this on your own and open up the Paddle checkout at the stage when your customers are ready to pay.

Hope this helps.

Hey @Chris_Colburn,

There are a thousand ways to skin this cat. Our company has LimeLM which offer trials and licensing for apps on all major platforms (macOS, Windows, Linux, BSD). And we support every modern programming language.

We don’t require credit cards for trials. In fact our licensing is completely un-coupled from whatever payment provider you choose. Meaning you can choose how and when to prompt people to pay you. And, you’re not locked in with outrageous rates.

We’ve been in business for well over a decade (actually closer to 2 decades at this point), and we have clients in every industry and of every size.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks Wyatt,
I sent an email to your support team asking more details questions.

No problem, Chris! You should’ve heard back from us. Let us know if you have any other questions or need clarification.

+1 to @wyattoday

I run a subscription based Desktop App which uses LimeLM for licencing and Fastspring for handling payments. All works perfectly.

Lime has good integration guides for specific payment processors which should get you up and running with your subscription setup in no time.

Steve

1 Like

My advice would be to implement your own licensing and payment handling scheme, not depend on 3rd party service features. Use the payment provider only as last step, for taking payments and create subscriptions. This way, free trial period is handled by your own licensing scheme and you can ask for payment when you decide. And switch to any other payment provider without pain in case the need arises (it surely will).

2 Likes