How Are Sales Today

If you’ve been listening to the past few episodes of the show, you probably know that I’m working on a new app for Stripe users called “How Are Sales Today?”.

The app runs in your Windows system tray or your Mac menu bar, and allows you to see your Stripe sales, refunds, events, and subscription-related metrics, without the need to have your data go through a third-party service.

If you’re interested in signing up for the beta, you can either subscriber at http://quanticinsights.com, or just send me a direct message.

Here is a sneak preview screenshot of the app:

Thanks!

1 Like

Scribbleton’s doing well! :wink:

1 Like

If anyone is interested in trying the app, How Are Sales Today beta is now available, for Mac and PC, from http://howaresalestoday.com

And of course it has a DLL API for 3rd parties to write gateways to other payment platforms?

@andrey,

I took a quick look…

• It basically works for me.

• Downloading was really slow. I guess that’s due to your host.

• It shows my revenue as $ but actually my revenue is tracked in EUR. Numbers are correct, currency is wrong, I think.

• If I didn’t know you at all, I’d have been worried about entering my Stripe API secret key. Maybe you could add a link describing exactly what you’ll do with the key, and why I should trust you.

• I think when viewing month, the % change on last month compares current Month To Date with the entire last month? I’d expect it would compare this month to date with an equally-sized portion of the previous month. Otherwise for most of a typical month it will show that my revenue is down on last month.

Hi Steve. Thanks for the feedback.

“Downloading was really slow. I guess that’s due to your host.”

The application doesn’t touch any of my servers. All communication is between your machine and Stripe’s servers. This is funny, actually, considering how much effort I’m trying to put into trying to put across that message in the ad copy. I should probably either try harder here, or drop that aspect of the message altogether.

It shows my revenue as $ but actually my revenue is tracked in EUR. Numbers are correct, currency is wrong, I think.

That’s right. The current version is USD only.

If I didn’t know you at all, I’d have been worried about entering my Stripe API secret key. Maybe you could add a link describing exactly what you’ll do with the key, and why I should trust you.

Again, interesting how people don’t have any issues with entering this into a SaaS product, but have issues with a desktop product. I’ll have to think about this.

I think when viewing month, the % change on last month compares current Month To Date with the entire last month? I’d expect it would compare this month to date with an equally-sized portion of the previous month. Otherwise for most of a typical month it will show that my revenue is down on last month.

That’s right. Current month to date is being compared with all of last month. I find this calculation useful in my own metrics, but you may be correct. I’ll have to take a look at some other feedback to see what’s better here. Maybe both will go in eventually.

• Andrey

Great idea! I love it! I would definitely 2nd @SteveMcLeod’s notion to explain what you do with the secret key more thoroughly.

Does Baremetrics do anything like this? Seems like you also might have to compete with them, which I wouldn’t want to do, but maybe you do!

Is this just for fun or do you have a rev plan up your sleeve? :smiley:

Obviously you’ve probably thought through most of this just curious more than anything and wanted to give some feedback as well!

Baremetrics is a full fledged thing, ( and @Shpigford , the founder is a member of these forums :smile: ).

My app is a smaller, desktop-focused utility, which allows you to see your sales and refunds, and some SaaS metrics, at a glance, and has desktop notifications for convenience.

Once the app comes out of beta, there will be a price-point, yes.

Oh. Right. I totally knew that… Best of luck @andrey!

1 Like

Thank you Garrison!

… (I don’t like this 20 characters minimum forum thing)

1 Like

Andrey, I meant downloading the app was slow. In my case, it was the Mac version. I could watch the 0.1 MB tick over as it downloaded.

I think the message is very clear that no data passes through your server.

Again, interesting how people don’t have any issues with entering this into a SaaS product, but have issues with a desktop product. I’ll have to think about this.

I’m quite new to using Stripe, and this is the first time I’ve ever shared my secret key with any other product. I’d also be reticent to give it to a SaaS product without first looking for some confirmation about who they are and what they need the key for.

I meant downloading the app was slow.

Oh I see. Must be because the host is in NY, or maybe there were a lot of people hitting the server at that time. I’ll keep an eye out.

I agree with you about the Stripe key issue. I’ll have to look into ways of letting the user know that the Stripe key isn’t being compromised in any way.

Andrey,

I’ve had “HAST” running for a few days. I feel you’ve already hit a pretty good mix of usefulness, UI, and non-obtrusiveness.

Ah, that’s great to hear. Thanks Steve!

I’m delighted to announce that 'How Are Sales Today’ has been released, and is now available for both Mac and Windows.

The latest release version is available for download , with a free 30-day trial. A subscription can be purchased for $8 a month.

Thank you everyone for your great feedback and support!

Website looks nice and clean.

Just for interest, why did you go with the subscription model?

The price is subscription-based because there is a fair amount of ongoing upkeep that needs to happen to keep HAST working properly and report accurate numbers.

UPDATE: ‘How Are Sales Today’ is no longer priced as a monthly subscription (as per user feedback). I also rebranded the product as Quintu. More info at http://quintu.com

Thanks!

Quintu? How did you come up with that name :smiley:

And did users really complain about recurring pricing? I mean, I asked the question above, but that was for my curiosity.