Bootstrapped #118: Should your product go Freemium?

@SteveMcLeod and @freyfogle consider whether Freemium is a viable business model for bootstrappers.

Thanks to Balsamiq who sponsored this episode. Find out how, thanks to Balsamiq, you can promote your bootstrapped business for free on the podcast.

Our guest sponsor, courtesy of Balsamiq, is IvyBackup.

You can also listen to and download this episode here: https://bootstrapped.fm/2019/12/06/118-should-your-product-go-freemium/

1 Like

Thank you for this episode and for discussing my question about 2 my competitors who are using Freemium model.

I agree with Freyfogle that it is not a proper strategy to rely on user ignorance about existing freemium competing products.

With my trial version I have good sales in certain countries and I afraid to have a decline in sales after switching to a Freemium model.

So my idea now is to make an experiment and switch to Freemium in other countries with other languages. So I will be able to see if the freemium’s “word of mouth” and freemium volume/features limitations actually work for my product.

If it works well then I switch to Freemium globally. If it doesn’t work and users from these new countries just use the product for free and don’t pay then I don’t loose much.

2 Likes

Thanks for discussing my product AnyRail a little bit.

I agree that it’s a hobby niche product, but I’m still amazed at how different people go about their hobby world wide. So even when you think you found a niche, you’ll find sub-niches and endless ways to extend your product.

About the website language, I just follow the preferences set in the browser, I don’t use IP-geolocation or anything like that.

1 Like