Bootstrapped #108: Hannah Adcock – Owner of Contented Strategy

In this episode I’m joined by Hannah Adcock (@smokingpun) from Contented Strategy. We discuss content strategy for bootstrappers.

We also discuss the work Hannah has done for my product, Feature Upvote.

Listen to the episode here.

1 Like

Nice episode. Recommended. Even if you kind of know these things, it’s good to remind you and put you in a correct mindset to take a look at your own content and to make plans for improvements. Some quotes (not verbatim, but from the memory)

“Half time should be spent on marketing, half on product”, “But I only want to work on product”. “I would leave it for later, and then it doesn’t get done this month, or next month…”.

I totally understand this struggle, and it’s oh so easy to choose programming. Any tips on how to force yourself to work on marketing? Do you allocate certain days in a week, weeks in month, some other way?

What kind of content works best for you - documentation, standalone articles, blog? How do you decide what should be an article and what a blog entry?

Hannah has an idea of “annual content audit”, similar to “annual car check”. I realize how I don’t skip these procedures related to a car, but business related stuff often gets neglected for years. As if that’s less important.

1 Like

Thanks!

I totally understand this struggle, and it’s oh so easy to choose programming. Any tips on how to force yourself to work on marketing? Do you allocate certain days in a week, weeks in month, some other way?

I used to do “Marketing Mondays”. On Mondays I’d only do marketing activities. That was the theory…but I often found excuses as to why this Monday I just had to do bug fixes or performance enhancements, etc.

Hiring Hannah to help on a regular basis has made a difference here. Now marketing activities (which for us is content) actually get done. Here is someone whose main task is marketing. When she’s blocked because she needs my contribution, I have a strong immediate financial motivation to get the task done.

What kind of content works best for you - documentation, standalone articles, blog? How do you decide what should be an article and what a blog entry?

Docs help trial customers and existing customers work out how to do things. Articles are the main driver of our SEO traffic - and therefore new trial signups. Blog posts are more about building our brand in general, and product announcements.

It is not always clear even to us which content makes for a good article and which makes a good blog post. I think if something is “evergreen” (likely to still be relevant in a few years) we deem it an article.