#150: How to solve my SEO problems, with Robert Brandl of ToolTester Network

Hi, missed your question about other tools. We use:

• Screaming Frog for site crawls to find (technical) SEO errors
  • AccuRanker and SE Ranking for keyword monitoring (rankings)
  • Hexometer for general website health monitoring (finds broken links!)
1 Like

Ah nice, would you be interested in beta testing a new tool @tooltester?

We don’t really review beta versions on our site. But depending on what tool it is I could take a look sometime.

That’s okay. It’s beta atm - maybe I send you a message when its more polished :+1:

It has been a few months since @tooltester and I recorded this episode. Time to report back on how his tips went for me.

To recap, in the episode, I asked for tips on making my “Guide to feedback buttons” page rank in position 1 for Google search results for “feedback button”.

I then went about applying the tips, one by one.

This screenshot from Google Search Console shows how the “Guide to feedback buttons” page has ranked over time in Google search results for “feedback button”:

About a week ago the page finally cemented itself in position 1.

What happened a week ago? I finally applied the last outstanding tip I was given: I added a video to the page, in which I more or less read out the info on the page.

Could be coincidence, or it could be that the Google search results reward having a video on this type of page.

3 Likes

Fantastic, congrats! :rocket:

Amazing, congratulations! Saving the episode to listen to it during the next round of content creation :eyes:

@SteveMcLeod You spent a bit of time talking about guest posting and getting inbound links. What was your strategy for that in the end, and how successful were you?

I find getting backlinks really hard. It isn’t in my nature to do the hard work required.

However a podcast listener invited me to write a guest blog post after listening to this episode. (It’s here btw: Feedback Button vs. Survey Widget vs. Online Poll) . This was a big help - even getting one backlink seemed to help with this low-competition keyword.

I asked a couple of podcasts if I could be a guest, and got three podcast appearances as a result. That got me links to my site in the show notes, although they didn’t link directly to my “feedback buttons” page.

1 Like