What do you think, would you pay for this?

For a few months I have this thing on my head.

Let’s say we have 3 types of visitors on any SaaS website. First type are the ‘Not interested, just browsing around’, that’s maybe 70-80%. Than we have the “buyers”,that’s low 1-3%. At this point everything is clear.

But what about the rest, 17-29% which are somehow interested, but there are different reasons that they don’t register to the free trial or doesn’t make the purchase. They know about the product, they know that’s useful, but still they don’t pull the trigger.

Is it because the copy is confusing/not convincing enough?
Is it because the pricing is wrong/they are price sensitive?
Is it because your product lacks features?
Is it because of competition?

Firstly, I want to ask you guys if anyone agrees with me or even tried this approach by surveying visitors. If yes, what did they found out? Theoretically, once you figure out the main problem you can prioritize it, like working on the copy, better pricing, more features, better differentiation from the competition, etc.

Secondly, I know there are tools like Qualaroo to survey visitors, but what do you think about building a tool that will do just that, learning why people leave + email capture to re-engage based on the answers, like for the price sensitive ones send a discount, for competition send a comparison chart, etc. IF this tool will be built, would you consider paying for it?

I like this idea and would try it out for my saas. I think that I would also use this feature as a website visitor if it were easy to use and the options were good ones.

For example a lot of times I abandon a site after 5 to 10 seconds because it’s not clear what they’re offering.

I’m not sure how much I’d pay for this though. Seems like there could be some real value there though.

Who answers surveys, especially the type that pop up on the screen?

No decision maker would ever take the time to answer a survey.

It seems to me that the only people that answer surveys are bored people that probably want to complain or give feedback that is unrelated to what you are asking. Or in some cases people that have a vested interest in your product and want to give feedback to change something. But curious buyers? Unlikely.

The only reliable (technological) way of improving your site’s sales message is A/B testing.

@howtogeek must be right because I’m definitely bored and not a decision-maker.

Sorry couldn’t help myself from going a little passive aggressive there :slight_smile: But it seemed like a jab given what I wrote just before him. But perhaps he didn’t even read my post - who knows.

It’s true that busy people tend to not want to fill out surveys - and I agree with that. But I think a simple, clean widget that popped in the right corner of the screen with three simple options could be manageable. Especially if your potential customers are SaaS founders - we generally tend to care about giving feedback to other founders when it’s low friction.

And there are other incentives for someone to give that feedback. There are plenty of times that I run across something that looks interesting but I know immediately that the price point is too high. I’d definitely be willing to take a second and a half to give them that feedback in the hopes that perhaps they will do something about it.

Thanks guys for your responses.

@kalenjordan Personally, I’ve encountered this as well, professional looking site, but it lacks message. When I’m researching tools for my app and I’m more invested than a simply visitor, I also think I will give 3 seconds for a click if I think the price is high or I don’t find a feature.

@howtogeek Not that kind of traditional survey you imagine. That will be a short, 3-5 options, simple box. Is true that majority of visitors won’t answer, but we care only about that percent of visitors that somehow are interested about the product(Qualaroo entire business is based on that and most clients are B2B). I used different surveys in my apps and I got a low percent of responses, but I get much higher responses from those who already visited 2-3 pages before showing the survey.

Maybe I’ll just set up a landing page and implement something myself and show you guys what I’m talking about. Theoretically, everyone wants to know why the visitors are leaving, but practically it’s something else

Only a tiny percentage of people will ever fill out a survey, and despite you thinking that it would be useful for people like yourself, it isn’t something that 99% of people want to do or will do. Statistically the data isn’t even useful.

Surveys are only helpful for getting feedback from already engaged customers or customers that want to complain. Then they are valuable.

If you aren’t doing A/B testing you are wasting your money. That’s the only way to figure out what works with a landing page. There are any number of books and websites that can explain how to improve your landing pages.

As somebody who runs a large content site, I have dealt with many affiliates and advertisers. Those with nice, streamlined landing pages will convert at 100x the rate that somebody with a cluttered lousy landing page will do.

I doubt the solution would work to get meaningful data from visitors. And if I would chose it, I would code it myself :slight_smile:

There are better alternatives to get this data, like doing IRL user interviews, A/B testing.

1 Like

Of course, if you are a technical person and you have time to code something yourself you have a major advantage.

There is no doubt A/B testing or interviews will give strong data to analyze, but I’m talking about getting insights why people who somehow are interested are still leaving. Qualaroo has the option on their medium plan, but is very expensive and there are also other feedback tools that implement this feature so there is a need for sure…check this post of David Arnoux from Twoodo http://blog.twoodo.com/972/talking-with-your-users-and-customers-is-a-bad-idea/ (on point 5 talks about that)

But the issue is, would this be valuable enough as a standalone product. For customer insights or feedback tools it makes sense, but I don’t know if it will work as stand-alone product.

However, I’m in an “idea gathering/validation” mode, so I’m throwing away ideas and ask people opinions and see which has a positive impact.

Hi Guys,
I run Survicate which does targeted surveys as well. I cannot agree that people do not fill out surveys - they do, when correctly targeted we can see even onver 30% response rate. But in case of exit surveys, the response is rather pretty low - less than 5%. Then, even when someone answers your question, majority of them will not leave you email address - they were about to exit your page after all. So I guess creating a tool only for that will not be useful :wink:
What we do with Survicate is engaging returning people based on answers from previous visits (not exit surveys) - this is more efficient, because when someone returns, he might be interested and you can approach him with suitable offer.
Second thing that can be done is creating retargeting lists based on answers - so you do not need to ask for email, just ask for information that could help you segment them and create suitable retargeting ads. (ps - we have a free plan if you want to try it out).

Just remembered about this thread.

I tested this a few months ago on a landing page, I got about 16% response rate which is huge from about 3000 exits from the home page.

It was a small box, 3 questions on the top of the page(where the mouse leaves). The answers were short and wrapped in button styles instead of radio-boxes. Unfortunately, I picked the wrong answers because I didn’t learned much and I didn’t asked for an email afterwards which was a mistake.

Over 50% said they will get back to the website soon, probably an email reminder for those answer would work.

The interesting stuff I want to try out is some personalized actions after responses, like offering a discount, asking what problem the user is trying to solve, what features are missing, asking to share to friends or reminder to get back.

For sure the response rate varies, probably lower, but the user is already leaving so everything gained from there is a win.

I’ll probably test it more and build an MVP to see how it works for others as well…the idea is to get the most from the leaving visitors, not just surveying them, this might bring more value.