Tips for increasing # of trial signups?

Our organic traffic for Feature Upvote has been increasing at a good rate over the last year. But our trial signups haven’t been increasing at the same rate.

I’d like to do something to improve this.

What tips do you have for increasing the % of our site visitors who sign up for a trial? In particular, site visitors who find us via a Google search.

Hi Steve, I like the redesigned homepage, looking good.

Do you know what keywords people are using to find you? Maybe you are just getting a lot of unqualified traffic?

I would make the link to https://dogfooding.featureupvote.com/ more obvious as I think which products like yours it really helps to see a demo of how it works.

Also is one plan not a bit limiting?

It seems if people are willing to pay $500 a month to uservoice it might be worthwhile you having a $99 enterphrise plan and maybe a basic plan around $10 or so to let people get started?

A bit off topic, but I really like how you did your screenshots like the one on the home page. Did you use any particular tool to do that or just Photoshop?

1 Like

Thanks! I like them too, but I didn’t do them myself.

As far as I know, my content person made a rough sketch of the idea, and my web guy used Photoshop to implement the idea. I’m not certain though.

Good question. The keywords bringing us the traffic are - in my opinion at least - well targeted. But I guess as we increase our content footprint, the targeting is not always the perfect match it once was.

Also is one plan not a bit limiting?

We are indeed going against convention here. We’re trying to keep things simple for the decision maker. But I’m not 100% certain of this approach, and perhaps we’ll add a higher tier one day. Especially for customers who want custom terms & conditions, etc.

I’m often telling others to raise prices, and perhaps I need to listen to my own advice.

We do have a price increase planned for the near future. (Note to any existing customers reading - you’ll stay on your existing plan! No price rise for you!)

More than one price doesn’t only allow you segment market. It can also make one of offers more attractive than if it stands alone. E.g. your plan is $35. However if there’s a basic plan for $25, this regular one for $35 and Pro one for $100, suddenly this $35 looks like an easy decision. Look up “Price anchoring” if you didn’t encounter that term yet.

If you’re talking about keywords set up in AdWords, nowadays Google thinks more of them as a recommendation than as exact terms. I know about exact vs broad matches, but it seems to me it’s all more fuzzy than it once was, probably deliberately. There should be another “Search terms” tab which lists actual search terms. That one can surprise you and give you ideas for negative keywords.

I don’t use AdWords at the moment.

I’m only talking about organic traffic via Google search. On Google Search Console I can see the keywords that brought us most of our organic traffic. The keywords seem to be a pretty close match for what our product does.

I have some criticism, please don’t take it to the heart. I’m doing this with good intentions. And I have what you don’t have - a fresh perspective of someone who stumbled on your site without knowing anything about it. Maybe there’s some industry known jargon that I don’t know, but I’m a product owner, I’m potentially a target market yet I was confused. Also, I was not searching for a solution, so those who come through Google might be better prepared for what they’ll see.

That said, I think your landing page looks good but I’m not sure copy is the best it can be. More precisely, after reading main heading (“above the fold” stuff"), I had no idea what it was all about.

CONSOLIDATE AND VOTE ON PRODUCT FEEDBACK.

At this point, I’m not sure what consolidate means in this context. Also, “product feedback” is confusing without additional details. Do you want me to vote on your product? It still doesn’t click that it has to do something with MY product.

SURFACE THE BEST IDEAS.

I like this line, it promises something that I probably want, but have no idea what it’s all about.

We provide simple feedback boards with built in voting functionality

I still don’t get it. When I see board I’m thinking about discussion boards, yet I’m not sure what feedback boards are.

First time I realized what’s that all about is when I watched a video.

I’m bad at copywriting, my house is definitely made of glass, but can you remake that text to be more like how you would explain Feature Upvote to someone you met at a conference? Something like “If you have a software product and wonder which features to build next, you can let users offer their suggestions and vote on them. Feature Upvote makes it dead simple for you, just bla bla bla.”. I’m sure it can be worded better but you get the idea.

1 Like

The landing page reads too generic in my opinion.

What is the specific behavior / context of the most frequent type of buyer? E.g. Does an enterprise person create an internal feedback board for employees? Does an app developer add a feedback board to their application for their customers?

Assuming it is the app developer, does this user develop a mobile app, or use a framework such as React? Etc. I’m sure you know specific details about the buyer like this. If not it is best to find out.

I would add additional context about this type of buyer to your landing page. E.g. with my hypothetical example of React developer: Integrate your React application with a feedback board for your users. And then display a video on how it’s done, or cover a case study.

Case studies help people get what cases they can use it for without thinking too much. Hope it helps.

1 Like

Hi Steve, I have been reading this forum for a long time, but I rarely write, because I think that you need to say if you have something to say :slight_smile: I recently looked for a solution similar to yours, and in principle I am the target audience. Then colleagues gave you advice to increase the price, etc., do you think that increasing the price will improve your registrations? I doubt it … It is very good that you, unlike competitors, do not limit the number of contributors … all other competitors do and it immediately repels … … To make more money, you can increase prices, but to get more users you need to reduce the price … I’m a Solo developer, I pay about 20 per month for support services and pay another 35 for users to vote for Features is not ready … Think maybe you should charge $ 10 for an agent with the number of agents to 3-5 and 20-35 for large teams? And also, look at the competitors, everyone has a Roadmap or a presentation in the form of boards, it is convenient for users and agents. And the biggest drawback, you have few integrations … If you want a business idea, write me a DM I apologize for my English and direct tone …

1 Like

The only thing I’d do is change 30-days trial to 14-days trial. Also [maybe] reduce the number of steps to one. As you know, I’m a customer but I don’t remember why step 2 was needed.

1 Like

Thanks all for the feedback.

And the biggest drawback, you have few integrations

I’d definitely like us to have more integrations. And with time we will. I find that every integration is a time sink, because they each attract more requests to enhance the integration.

I’m a Solo developer, I pay about 20 per month for support services and pay another 35 for users to vote for Features is not ready

A good point. We’ve found that, on average, tiny companies churn quickly. Our bigger customers are the ones who keep paying us money longer. They are also less price-conscious. So we’re likely to increase the prices, not drop them. However we do have an affordable “bootstrappers” plan, available to anyone who asks. :slight_smile:

The only thing I’d do is change 30-days trial to 14-days trial. Also [maybe] reduce the number of steps to one.

Thanks @maximus. I hadn’t thought about shortening the trial. We’re currently putting the finishing touches on our new signup process, which has - you guessed it - only one step!

That’s interesting to hear. Our original home page copy had been through some usability testing. We’ve since revised it a lot, often using the words our customers use to describe us. We’ve been surveying customers and conducting one-on-one interviews to discover this.

In particular we ask product managers to describe us, because we’ve discovered that product managers are our ideal customers.

However it is time we did some more usability testing on the page copy.

We do assume that the people who find us via Google are already feeling the problem we solve, and are looking specifically for a product like ours.

I think it is inevitable that the quality of traffic will go down as the volume goes up.

You can probably offset that to some extent by A/B testing various landing pages.

Adding more tiers was one of the best things I have done to increase sales. The number of tiers need to match the distinct user segments you have. I have 3 tiers for PerfectTablePlan and 2 for Hyper Plan.

I agree with @grujicd, and I’m a native English speaker. The words sound too much like those you’d find in a mission statement, you know the type: where a team of people have tried to distill many ideas into a single sentence, which necessarily becomes filled with buzzwords to try to cram as information into a small space and not miss anything.

Personally, I find it better to imagine that the page is going to be read by a 10-year old - very simple language, something like:

“Find out what your most important missing features are - directly from your customers”

or

“Allow your customers to suggest and vote for new features”

I also think that the entire homepage can be replaced by a well-designed infographic which shows the process, features and value visually, then show links for ‘learn more…’ where appropriate.

Kind regards,
Gareth.

1 Like

Low price can be a red flag for some users, especially developers. We, developers, know that cheap (and, especially, free) products often die, and some die too fast. Most would be reluctant to invest their time and money into integrating with a product that has a chance of being closed down soon.

Price also depends on what target audience one is after. I have a SaaS and recently raised cheapest plan from $5 to $10, other plans were increased in price as well. This never lead to fewer customers signups, I think it even increased (never really looked at those metrics). Another thing is that customers who pay low amounts tend to be the ones who ask lots of questions in support.

Hi Steve,

• As others have said it’s worth split testing the homepage. Everyone can have an opinion (just look at this thread) however let the data decide. You could split test messaging, CTAs, imagery through to the whole page - a one page simpler site vs what you have now for example
  • Suggest removing support off the main menu and having it in the footer
  • You could add more to your free trial page - some key benefits, maybe a testimonial, reassure people when they’re there to sign up
  • What happens when someone signs up? What is the onboarding process like?
1 Like