Single member LLC?

In the U.S., do most solo founder bootstrappers file a single member LLC (disregarded entity) for small income-producing projects? If so, is it better file in the home state? Thanks!

Generally yes but you should always consult a good CPA in your home state. Sometimes, an S-corp can make sense as well but again, it really depends on your specific situation. Any good CPA will be able to help you.

Florida in particular provides weaker liability protection for (single member) LLCs than you would expect (see

So, if you’re a single founder in Florida, I’d say form an S-Corp (which is what I did).