Hi fellow bootstrappers,
A year ago we used this forum to get first feedback on SatisMeter - an in-app customer feedback tool for SaaS businesses. I thought it might be interesting for some of you to know what worked for us and what did not.
We started accepting payments last month and so far received $1300 in MRR from 14 companies. Our goal is to reach $3000 MRR which will allow us going full-time on SatisMeter.
How did we get our first customers:
- We applied for partnership with Segment to make survey installation easier for our customers. Once they published us among their integrations we started getting consistent traffic with very high conversion rate.
- We tried to talk to everybody who signed-up and build the product based on what we heard. Our initial customers were designing parts of the product with us.
How did we reach more customers:
- Our customers were happy with us. The gave talks about growth hacks using SatisMeter. They recommended us. They published articles about Net Promoter mentioning us and blog posts on creative product integrations.
- We have “Powered by SatisMeter” footer in each survey we serve. Surprisingly this works very well and we receive a lot of traffic through this channel.
- One of our customer posted us on ProductHunt. We received over 100 upvotes and 150 new sign-ups.
What did not work that well:
- Advertisements - when we launched we wanted to get some traffic quickly so we invested in google, twitter and linkedin ads. We got just a few small companies signed-up through these and the ads were very expensive. We stopped that after a month.
- App directories - there are many places where you can register SaaS product and people can comment/rate on them. We added SatisMeter to tens to those but none of them brought significant traffic.
- Blog - we wanted to create a blog to drive some traffic but we did not have energy to create interesting content. We use it mostly for product announcements.
I hope you find this post useful. I’d be glad to hear your comments or hints.