Need advice on the landing page and nearest marketing

Hello everyone,
can you please look at this service: www.proximadata.io ?
I also have several short questions:

1. Is it clear what is service about, what it does?
  2. What do you think I could improve?
  3. The service currently is very primitive, it has only basic functionality. Do you think I can start marketing (for example post info on forums etc.) now or it should wait until I implement some “killer” feature? (Quotes mean that it may not be a real killer feature, but at least something that could make the service a little bit more advanced).

Thanks!!

Hi there,

1. It’s clear what the service is, but not who the service is for.
  2. You need to explain what problem you propose to solve for what people.
  3. You don’t need a “killer” feature, but you need to offer a solution to a problem someone has. At first glance, this looks like it would be a good tool for companies that have a custom app using Mongo to open up the data stored in Mongo. Could be wrong on that - but you need to tell people what problem your product solves, and for who.

Hi Bob,
are you real Bob Walsh? If so, I used to listen to your podcasts about startups, they are so interesting and gave me a lot of ideas :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot for your notes!

I understand your suggestion to specify the target auditory and which exact problem the service solves. The problem is I’m not 100% sure about the target auditory. Because it can be too wide and I would prefer to focus on the smaller group. But anyway, as soon as I figure it out, it’s a good idea to put this information on the site.

As for a solution the service solves you are right - it’s for the company that already have or will have data in MongoDB. Sometimes it’s not easy to edit or view data, export or share, that’s what the service does and will do. But currently, it’s too basic, probably it doesn’t solve anyone’s problem because for this level everyone already has a solution. Like if you are developing an advanced text editor and now it only can do simple edit, it doesn’t solve any problem because everyone already has a simple editor. But again, you are right, I have to tell people what they can do right now anyway.

Yep - it’s me. “But currently, it’s too basic, probably it doesn’t solve anyone’s problem because for this level everyone already has a solution.” I think you are selling yourself short here. A) those existing solutions are making money, B) I think marketing this to “non-developers who need access to their company’s MongoDB data” would work.

Cheers,
Bob

Hi Bob,

I think marketing this to “non-developers who need access to their company’s MongoDB data” would work.

That’s exactly what I was thinking about. What probably means that I’m on the right way!
Thanks!

Not from the first glance. I had to find the fine print under “It’s all about data” and read it to get an understanding.

The “It’s all about data” is in itself, IMHO, a waste of space. It sounds loud and empty - really, what does it mean?

Targeting. Who is it for? Why they need it and not … errr, some other tool?

Now, but make sure you have a clear proposition for your tool while it is still in baby shape. Something like “Free online IDE for NoSQL databases!”. And kinda mute the pricing until you get a set of features that worth to pay for.

And I don’t believe that just a number of databases worth to separate free from pro. I would sign up with 5 accounts to connect to 5 DBs, no problem - it is still less hassle than deal with CC. You need to figure out what your pro guys do with data - export into Excel? Reports?

Yes. I learned that non-developers who work in IT are much more readily buy something than just devs. QA, system analysts, PMs, power users.

Offtopic

I had you MicroISV - on paper! - book too. Kinda weird feeling.

P.S. Why this forum doesn’t have an offtopic markup? Weird too… oh, “Hide details” helps.

Thanks for your feedback!
Several notes on it:

1. “It’s all about data” means that this service allows you to abstract from the database level - you don’t need to worry how to organize your data, how to store etc. It’s mostly about how you work with the data.(I want to make this service as easy to use as possible. Because almost everytime when you try to start working with databases, it turned out to be very complicated.). So, it’s not clean. How would you express the same thought differently?

2. Targeting… should I specify explicitly the target auditory like in FAQ, or in motto or description?

3. Pricing… you are probably right… but the idea was the free users could try all the features and as soon as their volume is bigger they could move to paid already knowing what they really can do. But probably I’m totally wrong with this assumption.

Yes. I learned that non-developers who work in IT are much more readily buy something than just devs. QA, system analysts, PMs, power users.

I have the same feeling. I’m a software developer and I hate to buy any software. But I faced so many non-developers that just paid so much (much more than they could if they would know how to save) just to have some results. Especially I saw such people among those who are inspired by the idea to create a startup or a company. That’s my target auditory. But not only them. All the people who want to work with data, get as much as possible from them, use them but without any hassle and trouble, like “plug-and-play” - mine too.

Thanks, again!

I had you MicroISV - on paper! - book too. Kinda weird feeling.

I read this book too (digital though)! It was one of the books about startups and entrepreneurship I read, I remember feeling of huge inspiration :blush:

P.S. Why this forum doesn’t have an offtopic markup? Weird too… oh, “Hide details” helps.

That’s fine!!! It’s just a part of the thread :slight_smile:

Oh heck, I do not know. In the current form it says nothing to a first-time visitor, and I do not expect to come to a better wording in 5 minutes. But I’d start with “You Only Need to Think About Your Data”.

Nope… That should be somehow clear from the first scan of the page.