My new product : Hyper Plan

The concept looks really cool. I don’t know how your conversion are going, but I think it could make sense to make a CTA - download button in the bottom and pickup the mail address in a popup or a new window (when pressed).

Maybe it’s only me, but I feel a download button is more tempting then “start a free trial”.

Just a thought, best of luck.

I A/B tested “download” vs “free trial” for PerfectTablePlan. “Free trial” worked better. I don’t yet have enough traffic on this site to A/B test.

3 Likes

Thanks for all the great feedback. I have now released a new version (v0.4) with a (hopefully) significantly improved UI.
http://www.hyperplan.com

Have you considered narrowing to a vertical? I just wondered if there are particular markets where a desktop app might be more suited.

I am initially aiming it at events planners, because I already have a market there. But I’m sure there are plenty of other niches I could go after. It is hard to know which one might be most profitable.

On that first page it’s not immediately obvious to me this is for events planners… but you have much more idea about the market than I do.

Is “events planners” still overly broad? Wedding events, business conferences etc etc? I’d imagine offline working is a good feature where Internet connectivity is notoriously unreliable (the basements of hotels etc).

Because it is not. I’m trying to use it to organize my IT projects, which are currently spread thin over sticky notes, notebooks, email folders and tasks in Outlook.

(Perhaps a separate landing page for event organizers, as well as other uses, is a good idea).

It shows some promise (for instance, I’m enjoying to view the tasks in Project-Status and Projects-Functional Area cut), but the amount of clicks required to do those simple, repeatable, tasks is still too high.

The headers’ size scare the heck out of people around me. WHY SO BIG?!?!

And generally I’d like to see more customization of look and feel. The app is very visual, and every person best way to visualize is different. For instance, I like the idea of giving every note a different colour or a colour marker, but I spent quite a time working with BPM, where different functional areas are marked with the colour of the background “stripe”, like here:

and so I would also like to set the colour of a property “lane”, because it is easier to read for me.

LOL, maybe you should re-write as an Eclipse plugin :smiley:

[Joke, I know you weren’t suggesting that!]

I don’t think so. There is a lot of overlap between wedding, event and conference planning.

Yes, I think that is definitely a potential selling point for some people.

Yes, I think that would be a good idea (also helps with SEO).

Would it help if you could store ‘views’ (e.g. x=status, y=person, colour=urgency) and switch between views with 1 click? That is on the todo list.

I increased the size to make it easy to read the text. It should probably be configurable.

It is still a ‘proof’ of concept and I am trying to work out what is important to people. I have just added the ability to change the font. I will probably also add the ability to change the header and background colours. I hadn’t thought of colouring columns/rows. I will put that on the ‘wishlist’ also.

Thanks for the thoughtful feedback.

Please do try the new v0.4.0 release. It has quite a few improvements.

Yes, this was one of the things I was going to email to you as a suggestion.

Yes; I believe in this type of application everything should be configurable.

Installed yesterday.

I’m still using it for only a small subset of my tasks, because migrating them all would be a whole day job and I’m not ready until I’m confident HP fits my work profile. I am wondering now though how would I migrate my email folders… do you plan to have attachments in notes? With double-click-to-open-in-default-application support?

I have thought about attachments. I haven’t made a decision yet.

Note that you can read in a .csv file, to save retyping loads of stuff.

The reason I’m considering an attachment instead of text content is that some of the tasks are long email threads, containing important information (hosts, credentials) somewhere in the middle. It is easier for me to add a note along the lines “investigate intermittent error 920” and attach the whole thread to it than to copy-paste only the relevant parts.

Having said that, it is not a must-have at this point.

I am currently working on v0.5. It is much more customizable. You can change font, colours, header size etc. I have also added the option to colour by row or column (thanks for the suggestion). Plus there is now undo/redo, printing and export. Hoping to put out a new release this week.

Screenshot looks cool! :slight_smile: Waiting.

I however will continue to push you to get rid of the left-side menu, too :slight_smile:

All those controls have to some somwhere. I think the concertina control is quite elegant and you can collapse the left pane to 0 width.

Hmm… how about make them appear on a right click or a double-click on a card?

I mean, the whole structure of the “concertina” may be fine, but it is not in a place I expect it. I gonna get cross-eyed eventually, clicking on a card, looking at the controls on the left, then changing the values on the left and navigating my sight back to the card.

I think it would be really annoying if it it kept disappearing and reappearing.

Would it be better on the right?

Right-side crossed eyes are no better than left-side crossed eyes! :slight_smile:

Seriously, why not popup? Most of the time it doesn’t get in the way. Only when you need to edit a card, it occupies the screen – right where my eyes are.

(I suspect we come from the different UI schools, eh?)

v0.5.0 is now out. With the option to colour swim lanes, as you suggested. Plus lots of other improvements, including:

Undo/Redo added.
    Printing added.
    'Views' can now be saved and returned to under Stored Views.
    Export to CSV/PDF/PNG/JPG added.
    Ability to set row or column color by property added.
    Appearance controls allow changes to various colors and the gradient effect.
    Press Escape key to exit fullscreen or magnify modes.
    Click a header to show the appropriate Property window.
    Zoom fit is now a mode.
    The current filter is now saved with the plan.
    Warns if a change to the currently selected cards will result in the cards being hidden by filtering.
    Various usability improvements and bug fixes.
    Updated quick start guide.

http://www.hyperplan.com

There is loads more I could do to improve it. But I think it is enough to do useful work with now.