MicroConf Europe 2019

It looks like the speaker schedule has been finalised for MicroConf Europe 2019

When: 20–22 October 2019

Where: DUBROVNIK, CROATIA - HOTEL DUBROVNIK PALACE

I believe there are still tickets available.

I’ve heard very good things about the venue and hotel, with every room having views over the Adriatic Sea. Someone told me it is easily the nicest MicroConf venue ever.

2 Likes

Have heard the same about the venue.
Really looking forward to it.

I’m organizing dinners (open to every attendee) on Sunday & Monday, if anyone reading this is interested, please sign up here: https://forms.gle/njFCezQ7MApJW1j16

1 Like

I considered going but it was $929 for the ticket alone it’s expensive. Are there any other good software meetups in Europe?

1 Like

and you also need to stay in the conference hotel …
My feeling is microconf is becoming less and less micro.

My personal favourite is https://businessofsoftware.eu/, usually held somewhere in the UK, most recently in Cambridge. But it is not much cheaper.

I sometimes go to cheaper conferences here in Barcelona but they seem to involve product pitches more than helpful presentations. This makes me suspect that the economics of running a good conference requires charging several hundred dollars per ticket.

1 Like

10 years ago bootcamp meetups were all the rage but I suppose it is easier to monetise a conference. I might try to organise something local on meetup.com

1 Like

Co-founder of MicroConf here.

For our Europe event the cost for the ticket and hotel room fluctuate 5-15% per year (both up and down) depending on the country, city, hotel, etc. Keep in mind if you convert the ticket price to USD it adds a 15% premium due to Euro conversion rates.

We maintain the “Micro” ethos we’ve had since day 1, but you are correct to assume we cannot charge the same as we did back in 2011, nor can we find hotels that still charge 2011 rates. Every single year we seek a venue that’s nice, easy to travel to, while reasonably priced.

This year in Croatia, for example, we have an amazing hotel. But we booked it during shoulder season where the rooms are half the price (or less) than peak season. We did that very intentionally with self-funded founders in mind, even though we risked running into bad weather, which is common this time of year in Dubrovnik (luckily it looks like we dodged it again).

Not sure if you’ve run an in-person event, but when a hotel charges you $40 per gallon of coffee and $10k for A/V, you can’t run a viable event at a couple hundred bucks per ticket. We run lean events, by conference standards.

With that in mind, we are working on top secret stuff for 2020 with the goal of having some lower price point gatherings. More on that soon - hit microconf.com if you’re interested in staying in the loop :wink:

7 Likes

FemtoConf.com was <300€ for the ticket in 2019 and it was a brilliant event - but I’m biased

1 Like