Jason Cohen's "Startup Kung Fu"

Jason Cohen is the founder of WP Engine, a great public speaker, and the writer of excellent blog posts.

He’s gathered a ton of his best blog posts together. Great reading.

Startup strategy is like Kung Fu. There are many styles that work. But in a bar fight, you’re going to get punched in the face regardless.

I can only teach you my style. Others can only teach you theirs.

This is my style.

Expect to lose a day or two immersed in these. It will be time well-spent.

2 Likes

Sell more value, not more time

It can be a game changer.

1 Like

Some gems in this article, including:

Most “customer discovery” is really a founder in love with a product, trying to justify to herself that there is a market.

No one will read the Important Text in your dialog box.

1 Like

I really believe this:

"Price must be part of your initial customer discovery, not an afterthought after you “first make sure there’s a pain. “
Jason Cohen in Kung Fu

Which he links to

It’s often said that you shouldn’t talk about price during customer development interviews. The usual justification is that your goal is to uncover the details of your potential customers’ lives and pain-points, whereas a mention of price turns attention away from that topic, diverting the discussion to budgets and comparative value.

But I disagree. Price is as important as any other feature to determine product/market “fit.”
Jason Cohen in Pricing determines your business

At a minimum you have to be prepared to offer a price and explain your theory of value if asked. If you don’t have a theory of value (which you can always update with new information at any time) then B2B prospects may quickly conclude that you are wasting their time.

I read this article again and again :slight_smile: