How do you use social media for your bootstrapped SaaS?

I run a small SaaS targeted at healthcare/wellness professionals. My clients range from mental health professionals to MDs to Spas, so as you can imagine, it’s really hard to create relevant content. I thought about focusing on one niche only, but the tool solves a common problem that all these people have, and keeping things horizontal has been working well so far.

I think this is part of the reason why social media has never worked for me. So I’m curious to see how other bootstrappers are using it.

Do you post about feature updates? Do you link to your own blog posts? Do you link to relevant articles from different sources? How has it been working for you?

Thanks is advance!

For me Twitter is more about relationships. I don’t have any kind of strategy other than posting things that are interesting to me - whether links or posts or whatever.

In combination with attending industry events I’ve built a nice network in my niche and Twitter is a big part of it.

There may be more direct monetixation strategies that could work but for me it’s all about relationships.

Interesting question whether to niche down or not.

Do you get most of your paying customers via social media so far?

Is there a particular subset of customers that becomes paying customers more often?

In my work with scribblar.com, we’re about to re-position from a general tutoring platform to a tutoring platform for math-related subjects – since it just happens that the majority of paying customers just happen to use the platform for something math-related.

Not at all. Most customers come through SEO and word or mouth. I only get clients from Facebook when someone mentions our app in a group, but that doesn’t happen very often.

No, that’s the problem. It’s really fragmented between physiotherapists, counselors/therapists, nutritionists and acupuncturists, then a smaller number of MDs, dentists, life coaches, etc.

I’ve been thinking about it and noticed that my real target are small practice owners, so maybe I’ll focus my content strategy around that. Topics like online marketing, client retention and productivity should be relevant to most of them.