Hi! I'm Pedro from DataSnitch and I'll let you know if your site is down

But you think they care about how much their javascript files changed?

1 Like

Lots of value here for me. Iā€™d certainly pay for something like this.

@johnf TouchƩ. You got me there!

Then on the dashboard page the user would see a graph of this value over
time, and could setup alerts for high or low values (or specific string
matches for status-like properties).

I like this. Thereā€™s a bunch of things (not uptime-related) I would like to monitor with fancy graphs so I can show them to people. Doing this myself would mean searching for the perfect JavaScript Graph library, writing a script that does the monitoring, etc. And Iā€™m not a sysadmin type of person, so Iā€™d be googling/learning all this from scratch and fiddling with it until it works. Iā€™m more or less a junior developer who is busy coding their actual web application.

Iā€™d just like to say thatā€¦ thereā€™s potential in reaching people who are clueless, but for that, you need to educate them. I suspect that itā€™s pretty unlikely for them to find their way onto your blog because they wouldnā€™t be searching for monitoring. These are probably more likeā€¦ the people whose misconfigured CMS sites get hacked - so one place where to pick up your customers seems to be wherever they go when they got hacked and are now looking for a solution that mitigates their risks.

If you do want to appeal to ā€œpeople who are clueless about monitoring and currently donā€™t do itā€, I think it would be a good idea to write about the problems these people face: how running any kind of software is at least to some degree a risk - considering hacking or crashes (your customers make an effort to configure their servers right, or theyā€™re using reputable service providers but they simply canā€™t do anything about vulnerabilities of the systems they use, thereā€™s never a 100% guarantee). While being hacked isnā€™t an overly huge problem for many sites - as long as itā€™s discovered quickly and fixed - itā€™s still something that can damage their reputation and profits. Conclude with a step-by-step guide how to set up your service in a way that theyā€™ll know immediately that they got hacked and can take action. Simplicity is key.

For the non-technical people, the value is as much in the free education as in the service itself, really. And I do agree that that value is very likely more than what you currently charge.

I signed up to try the service, but now Iā€™m logged out and canā€™t log back in. Also, the form for setting up monitoring looked a bit off - some of the fields were all left, while the others were more on the right. The monitoring itself seemed to be working, though. Also, the text on the page where I created the monitoring service said something about a text search field but that field wasnā€™t there - or I just couldnā€™t figure out which of the fields it was (maybe itā€™s available in the paid version?).

Donā€™t let that discourage you - on the contrary, I think thereā€™s potential. Actually, I do consider using your monitoring service for my site - Iā€™m currently not using monitoring yet, but I know I should.

Hi @grumpi, thanks for your reply!

The ā€œIā€™m locked outā€ issue seems to be common and Iā€™m working to fix it. The root cause is that the activation e-mail seems to always end on the junk mail folder, but the problem is that the process is not clear enough and Iā€™m not giving any related error message when you try to login with a non-confirmed account.

Have a look at your junk mail / spam folder for our email and let me know if following the provided link fixes the issue. Alternatively drop me an e-mail at info [at] datasnitch.co.uk with your username and Iā€™ll confirm your account.

As per your suggestions: Youā€™ve got some nice ideas there. Iā€™ve been really motivated by all you leaving comments here and started working with a developer to tackle the many issues identified on my site/application. Heā€™s just now working on a security stuff I didnā€™t like at all (basically the passwords were being stored encrypted, which is not a good idea as we should just store a salted hash of the passwords). After that I want to work on the UX: Error messages, sign up process, etc. and finally a revamp of both the public pages and specially the control panel, where Iā€™ll take the ā€œmake it simpleā€ suggestions. Iā€™m working on mock ups and might include a simple and an advanced differentiated dashboards for different types of users.

Of course, all this will almost force me to change my pricing/plans, but all current pro users will benefit from the change.

1 Like

The root cause is that the activation e-mail seems to always end on the
junk mail folder, but the problem is that the process is not clear
enough and Iā€™m not giving any related error message when you try to
login with a non-confirmed account.

Yep, that fixed it. It was indeed a problem with the spam folder. The email didnā€™t even make it to the ā€œadvertisingā€ tab, it really went to ā€œspamā€ on gmail - I canā€™t say for sure why exactly, but changing the mail server to something reputable might help - also, changing the subject line to something more descriptive canā€™t hurt, like ā€œWelcome to DataSnitch - Your New Account Is Readyā€, or something like that. Changing the sender to something more recognizable (the sender currently just plain displays as ā€œinfoā€ for me) would be good, too.

Any case, good luck, itā€™s basically just a matter of fixing all the little things step by step (Iā€™m currently doing just the same thing on my own application using the feedback of my early adopters, so I know how it can seem like an endless list of things to fix. :slight_smile: ).

1 Like

Try with this tool: http://www.mail-tester.com/

3 Likes

Nice service! It does indeed confirm Iā€™ve got a few issues. Iā€™ll work now on those.

Thank you!!

That was my thinking too.

I was dreaming about ā€œDashboard as a Serviceā€.

Then I had a moment of (bootstrapping) sobriety, and got two insights:

A. People who canā€™t build their own dashboard, but know they need it ā€¦ how many there are of them?

(This one is actually similar to Pedroā€™s ā€œclueless people who need monitoringā€.)

I realized that such people are a tiny layer between people who are totally non-tech (and hence do not know they may need a dashboard to track their service), and people who are able to build their own dashboard in a few hours of coding (and enjoy it).

How many of those small group I realistically can convert? That did not seem promising.

B. This is not a Dashboard-as-a-Service, but Graph-as-a-Service.

This is what you just said ā€“ ā€œshow (the graphs) to peopleā€. Showing means embed into the public side of the site. Suddenly, instead of 3-5 admin users, the service could be exposed to hundreds (or thousands, who knows).

I realized I will have to design the caching, and master-slave replication, and smart routing, and dynamic allocation of VPS, ā€¦ into the version 1 ā€“ and I was not ready for that. I was hoping my version 1 will be happily running in a single VPS on a single instance of Postgres, in a true bootstrap spirit.

ā€¦

I keep the domain though. May be I will re-visit the idea, but my copy will not talk about uptime monitoring. I would not want to be compared with Pingdoms of this world. I would write about dashboards and control centers, and such. May be I would even offer a hosted versionā€¦ enterprises are heterogenous, and it is hard to monitor everything in one place.

2 Likes

I agree with your insights below, but at the same time it sounds a lot like what https://www.geckoboard.com actually is doing with some success, it seems ā€¦ so I think the market for such a thing is there. Maybe with the right focus on educating the potential users on the benefits of a good business dashboard, it might still be a viable bootstrapped service!