Bootstrapped.fm, Episode 40, "Andrey Butov's Fizzilization"

In this episode we discuss talking at conferences, Star Wars, and sci-fi, video games, Ludum Dare and game dev competitions, the current Antair project list, user interfaces for kids’ apps, Scribbleton, multi-platform development, Snappy, domain registrars, and the Oculus Rift for virtual offices.

Listen to the episode and view the show notes

1 Like

Offtopic, but:

Thank you for “Rendezvous with Rama” reference. Bought it, read it in one day and it is now on my top list for Sci-Fi next to “The Mote in God’s Eye” and “Трудно быть богом” (rus).

Too bad both R-w-R’s and The Mote’s sequels were horse manure :frowning: due to ghost writing.

Yes, Rendezvous is one of the better ones. The sequels to it are terrible. I got through a quarter of the second book and had to stop. From what I read, the “resolution” to who was sending those ships is even worse. I’m satisfied with having just read that first book.

RwR is great. My favourite Clarke book, however, is “The City & the Stars”. Childhoods End is a close second.

Yes, RwR’s sequels weren’t that great. The 1st book had a sense of wonder, while the later books were pretty normal. The second book was particularly bad, though the last part of the 3rd book and the 4th (which were actually one book) were okay.

There was no resolution to speak of. PM me if you want to know the spoilers :smile:

Thank you! I think I read it in childhood, and in a translation. Reminded me of Time Machine’s far distant future with two distinct evolutionary human sub-races… but I will read it again; most book lose in translation and it was looooong ago anyway.

Andrey, the comment about games (the one along the lines “worst ROI possible; you work on it for 6 months, polishing it, and then a bunch of morons just gives it 1 star”) was along worth to listen. I’m not in the game industry, and now I’m grateful for that! :smiley:

I know I’m super late to the game on this one. With PeersConf and Laracon recovery, I’m way behind on my podcasts.

But I just had to mention: I’m such an addict to starting new things, I had a moment where I legitimately considered buying AndreyButovsGameEmporium.com and filling it with Photoshop mockups of all of @andrey’s game knockoffs.

I didn’t do it, because I still have a modicum of self-control. But I wanted to share.

1 Like

If I ever open up a retail store, it would totally have “emporium” in the title.

1 Like