Bootstrapped #122: My desktop app got acquired!

@SteveMcLeod tells @freyfogle all about the sale of his desktop app. We talked about why I sold off the desktop app I’ve been running for 12 years, how I found a purchaser, and the emotional ride of negotiating and handing over the app.

Thanks to Balsamiq who sponsored this episode. Bootstrapped listeners, to try Balsamiq for free, visit balsamiq.com/go/bootstrapped where you will find a promo code giving you an extended trial and a hefty discount.

Our guest sponsor, courtesy of Balsamiq, is Versoly. Versoly is the easiest way to build a SaaS website that converts without worrying about coding, design or hosting.

You can also listen to and download this episode here: https://bootstrapped.fm/2020/01/18/122-my-desktop-app-got-acquired/

4 Likes

Wow, Steve! This will take a weight of your shoulder. Good luck, and also for the buyer.

1 Like

@SteveMcLeod very good story, thank you! Actually it’s the first time I listened to a podcast here, being a member since 2014 :slight_smile: Old school, prefer reading and writing. BTW, I’m running my desktop app for about 18 years now; selling it did come to my mind occasionally, but not to the point where I would seriously consider it. Your story is very interesting, the emotional part, preparing to sell, handing things over - liked it all. Do you feel sort of emptiness now that you don’t have a project you’ve been running for so long?

1 Like

I’ve got too many other things going on to feel empty at the moment! In fact, I’m already taking on a new project - more about that soon :wink: