Windows 10 forced upgrade

Further aggressive tricks from Microsoft - closing the upgrade prompt by clicking on the red X actually… starts the update!

And I thought Skype’s action of just minimizing when you close was appalling behavior…

Microsoft do actually think things through (even if they don’t always come to the conclusion we think they should) so I guess someone has decided that the cost savings of dumping prior versions is greater than the RaG€ some customers will get from these sorts of tricks.

1 Like

Microsoft really can be assholes.

This software is only 86kb and claims to stop the updates and potentially deletes 6GB (!) of WIndows 10 downloads.
https://www.grc.com/never10.htm
It appears to be reputable, as it is linked from lots of reputable PC sites.

2 Likes

Other than the fact that Microsoft keeps turning on the telemetry settings, which is going to be a lawsuit at some point.

Continuing its war on its users, now, even if you hide the update, it keeps coming back up.

It’s like Microsoft is run by sleazy used car salesmen who have a quota to meet, and screw anyone who gets in their way. Is it?

Im thinking of hiring an assistant, whose only job will be to keep an eye on MS shenanigans.

Anyway, here’s a link in the continuing war on this zombie like virus that wont die (it has been updated):

1 Like

Hmmm… what are a few advantages of Win10 over Win7 for the general user (or a developer)?

I haven’t found any, and that darn Start screen is confusing.

My understanding is that now MS is copying Google and Win10 has spyware/user tracking of some sort (Revenue $tream).

Sigh… when is MS going to start LEADING again?

Actually, they got rid of that Windows 8 style starts screen. Windows 10 boots into a Win7 style screen with a start button. Basically, 10 is 8 done right.

That said, it is slightly heavy on resources, so unless you have a new laptop, it will drag your machine to a halt. See my comment above how it killed my fathers laptop, so much so he thought he had a virus.

When they make a time machine and go back to the 90s? :smile:

Did they ever lead? Excel followed Lotus 1-2-3, Access followed Paradox, Word followed Word Perfect, Windows followed Mac, IE followed Netscape.

1 Like

Never10

Ah that’s from Steve Gibson of Gibson Research, he’s the guy behind SpinRite which has saved my ass more than a few times (over a lot of years/decades)

He is a genius, it’s worth spending some time on the grc.com site, there is some good stuff there.

LOL… true. OK, I’ll settle for them being smarter about who they copy.

It’s probably more important that Bill Gate devotes his energy to tackling global health issues!

1 Like

I know I keep banging on about this - but this made me chuckle. Wonder if this sets a precedent?

3 Likes

I am at the stage where I check each Windows 7 update before I install it. Win 10 (I installed from scratch one one PC) is now nagging me to buy MS Office and there is no "NO - F**k off"button to dismiss it. Really, MSFT?

you can uninstall the infamous Get Windows 10 (GWX) update KB3035583, in the Uninstall or change a program look for “view installed updates” at the top-left and kill 3035583 with fire.

Alternatively, here’s a SuperUser thread on the matter: http://superuser.com/a/922069/3588 - if you read the whole thread you’ll see there is more than one trojan (well, it is) that installs the nagware.

Windows 10 invites me to download Candy Crush and Solitaire. In both cases, for the price of “free*”, with no explanation of the clearly non-free conditions suggested by the asterisk.

It also suggests to me (via Cortana) sites where I can get cracked versions of my own damn software product! I can only assume that anyone using a trial version of my product sees the same recommended crack sites whenever they use the search feature to launch the trial version of my product.

I’m just puzzled by why Microsoft thinks these are good design decisions.

1 Like