Discuss Home · Bootstrapped Podcast · Scribbleton Personal Wiki · HelpSpot Customer Service Software · Thermostat NPS

Sanity-check your engineering investment decisions

Hey everyone, been posting to the odd thread here :slight_smile:

I just made http://EngineerWorth.com, it’s meant to help you decide whether you’re using your engineering time wisely. CTOs / hiring managers / engineers would find it most useful.

It’d also be helpful in doing price anchoring if 1) you’ve made a product that saves eng time 2) or if you’re doing engineering consulting and want to contrast yourself vs in-house engineers.

The overall idea of the site is that people end up visiting my consulting service, http://EngineerOverflow.com, and then inquire about working with me :slight_smile:

Feedback is welcome!

Best,
David Trejo
EngineerOverflow.com—I help bootstrapped & profitable CTOs to hire engineers.

Interesting metrics.

Just wondering why you’re targeting “Bootstrapped and Profitable” businesses with your hiring service? Does VC backed mean a totally different approach for you and candidates?

Hey Ryan, thanks for the feedback.

It’s easier to work with bootstrapped and profitable companies because they usually have workplaces which are more attractive to engineers. So yes, the approach I take when sending them engineers is different. For a VC backed company, I would need to first convince myself of the viability of their sales/marketing team (the part that is most likely to fail, resulting in broken dreams).

Cheers,
D

So I want to say I did exactly what you wanted me to do… I went to the EngineerWorth site without even reading your whole post yet and then went to EngineerOverflow. So definitely does that!

The UI for the calculator was a little confusing, but I also figured it out and did exactly what you wanted me to do… So take that for whatever it means. Best of luck!

Garrison, awesome!!
So happy that it worked :slight_smile:

I’m thinking I will swap the UI for range inputs, pretty sure that would be more intuitive.

Thanks for the feedback!
D

PS Good luck with your app per month project! I think the biggest challenge is probably finding expensive problems, and the people who will pay for them (and then selling to them). It’s totally doable tho

Yeah - I think that would be for the best too!

Thanks for the encouragement! Just gotta keep hustling… :wink: