I have decided to build a new product and finish it in 30 days.
So here is the plan
- This would be a data related product (which tool isn't?)
- Brand new UI
- Leverage reporting features from my existing product
- Package it and make it available by or before the end of 30 days
I am going to launch it on my current product website because:
1. I don't know what is the demand for this kind of product
2. It complements and demonstrates lot of the usefulness of current product
3. I don't have to work on separate web property, marketing, SEO (the whole 9 yards).
1. I was planning on doing a case study for the reporting aspect of this product and realized that there is a real pain that it would solve if it had the proper UI for data intake and navigation. The main aspect of this product is around having good reports and dashboards and that is what caught my attention. I have seen couple of products and reporting in them is not great in my opinion.
What is it?
I don't want to reveal the whole product but I plan to share screenshots very soon.
Update 1: 4/29/2017
Rather than design the data UI, I thought of taking a short cut and finish the reporting aspects of it. As I said the UI is around 50% of the work and dashboards are the other 50%. I found couple of data samples on the internet and so downloaded them and added few missing columns to it. One aspect of the UI is to generate this file so it helps to start backwards. Wrote a simple transformation script in PHP that parses this data and adds additional columns to it. Next steps would be to get it loaded into the database.