My new product www.keywordfunnel.com

That all makes sense.

1. Replace the videos screenshot. Currently the video, unplayed, displays “Keyword Funnel”. That’s a lot of real estate being used up. Why not replace it with a more useful copy like “how keyword funnel doubles your …”. that way you get more clicks and copy that shows a benefit.

I agree. But I don’t think I can make any honest claims about doubling anything, yet. Hopefully I can think of some compelling copy without making up numbers.

1. This is for the future - it seems you need to educate the visitors a little bit about why longtail adwords are so good (cheaper and higher conversion rate). Instead of trying to do it all in one session through copy or a video, how about a multi part email course on “unlocking your lucrative long tail”? That way you can extend the relationship and they may come back to buy.

An email course or PDF is something I am considering.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I had a quick look and realized that I am not part of the target market: no Linux version.

I could port it to Linux. But I can’t imagine it would be worth my while financially.

Yeah, I would not imagine so unless it gets really big. Why not a SaaS setup, out of curiosity?

Partly becuase I could develop much faster as a desktop product. But also I couldn’t really see any advantage to it being web based.

• They would need to log in every time.
  • There can be thousands of phrases, why move that backwards and forwards if you don’t need to?
  • The auto calculation of groups is quite processor intensive. Why not do that on the local machine?

For more on this see:

1 Like

I have reworked the home page based on the helpful feedback I received here and elsewhere:

http://www.keywordfunnel.com/index.html (don’t forget to refresh)

There is still plenty more work to on the site. Hopefully it is an improvement though. What do think?

Ouch, the name is HitTail, of course.

Much, much better. It’s clear what you are selling now. I havent seen the video because Im at work, so cant comment on that.

Only one tiny suggestion- the site could be made a bit more slick. That might be as simple as buying a good Bootstrap theme. But I’m not a designer, so take my advice with a pinch of salt.

I know about http://www.hittail.com . It also targets long tail keywords, but for SEO. It is a very different product. Output from hittail would probably be a useful input into Keyword Funnel.

I see. Wasn’t clear immediately, too.

May be then you should consider to cross-promote KF to HitTail users and other way around? Integrate them somehow? HitTail is an established product with a sizable user base, which you may take advantage of.

Possibly. But as Keyword Funnel is so new, there is a lot less in it for the owner of hittail (Rob Walling).

Actually … there is a Long Tail product which I thought your were refering to: http://www.longtailpro.com/
@Andy how your product compare to LongTailPro and Market Samurai? (http://www.noblesamurai.com/)

Watching the LongTailPro video, it looks very different in approach.

Keyword Funnel doesn’t have a built in database. You paste in potential keywords from from various sources e.g. analytics, adwords search reports, webmaster tools, the built in keyword multiplier etc and it helps you filter and group the keywords and then upload them straight into AdWords. LongTailPro could be used as a source of keywords for Keyword Funnel.

Keyword Funnel is also much cheaper!

I could find out anything much about Market Samurai without signing up (ick).

Hi @Andy
I am a SEO newbie and that is why I think I still do not understand your product’s positioning relative to other solutions in the field (Long Tail Pro, HitTail, etc). I downloaded Keyword Funnel to understand it better and maybe help you more (if I can).

I am trying to use it and have some questions on how does it work. I don’t want to share this here… What is the best way to reach you and discuss the usage of KeywordFunnel? E-mail? My email is fredguth (at) fredguth (dot) com.

Another thing… I listened to you in the bootrapped.fm podcast and discovered that you have an operations research background. I had a consulting software company in this area (not an operations research guy myself, though). We tried many times, but never succeeded in developing a product as you did.

I was wondering… in your second product, why didn’t you looked for another optimisation problem? (or maybe I am wrong and keyword funnel is an optmisation problem and I didn’t notice).

About Market Samurai, you can see it in action in one of Pat Flynn’s videos: http://www.smartpassiveincome.com/webinar-replay-100623/

I am in the early stages of looking for that elusive product-market fit, so all feedback is appreciated. I will email you off list.

I did a physics degree originally. Then my first job was in writing OR software (in FORTRAN!). PerfectTablePlan doesn’t fit into the classic OR mould and isn’t amenable to any of their standard approaches (e.g. linear programming) so I wouldn’t really consider it OR software. Also the solver is only a small part of the whole.

Keyword Funnel does have a tricky optimization problem in it. Partitioning keywords into adgroups automatically. That was the most challenging and fun bit to write. My first attempt to an hour plus to partition several thousands keywords. It can now do it in a few seconds. I don’t think there are many other pieces of software that can do this. Google has an online equivalent. But it is much less flexible.

I would be interested to know a bit more about that, if you care to share (maybe offline).

1 Like

Shure! I saw you emailed me, I will answer asap. In the meanwhile, you may check my intro, where I talked a little bit about some reasons I think we were not successful in building a product.

Interesting.

People have asked me why I don’t generalize my genetic algorithm to other grouping problems (e.g. sports tournaments). But the more generic something is, the more complex it becomes and harder it is to market.

I guess the trick is to solve a problem that lots of people want to solve, where the contraints don’t vary too much between customers. Saying that, different people do have quite different requirements for their table plans. Handling a 50 seat wedding, a 500 seat state banquet and a 4000 seat charity event in the same software is quite a challenge! Especially when you have all the cultural issues.

Choosing the best market is perhaps the ultimate optimization problem!

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree more! You want something that is generic enough to be a niche worth exploring and that is specific enough that the constraints don’t vary so much between customers. That is so difficult.

I wouldn’t generalize your product to fit other grouping problems. “Grouping problems” is just a too big thing. But maybe you can create other products for other niches with grouping problems, knowing that you may not reuse a lot of what you already have. Sports Tournaments is one… another pain that I saw often was assigning rooms to teachers/courses in universities.

I have thought about that one several times. But I suspect that every school would have different constraints. Also selling to schools sounds like a nightmare combination of beaurocracy and limited budgets.