Lanes: a todo app and timer to help you accomplish, beautifully

Hey all,

Lanes is the result of me scratching my own procrastination itch for the last 6 months. It’s a todo app and timer that allows you to create leaderboards with friends, see insights on when you’re most productive, create goals (think of a moodboard with notes, bookmarks, videos etc) as well as the typical todo-appy things.

I needed something that was useful but which also made me want to open my todo list each morning, so it’s minimal and fully customizable with backgrounds, greetings etc.

There’s a zillion (zillion + 1, now) todo apps out there. None of them get it just right. So time to give it a shot.

https://lanes.io

Would love your feedback.

No info on the landing page? Nothing to base a decision on whether to try it out. Instant no in that case.

So you had an issue of procrastinating towards some unnamed goals of yours. Then you spent 6 months making a tool that supposed to help you to overcome the procrastination. I assume the original goals did not become any closer to completion during those 6 months?

(Don’t mind me tho. I just cannot understand why everyone is writing a TODO app these days.)

It is there… below the fold.

2 Likes

At least on my iPad, there is no below the fold.

Hi, there’s an intro to the features if you scroll down. I’ll make this more obvious.

So you had an issue of procrastinating towards some unnamed goals of yours… I assume the original goals did not become any closer to completion during those 6 months?

The goal was to build a Saas product, so two birds :wink:

‘Disorganisation itch’ may be a better descriptor. I was still productive but lacked the perfect tool to plot my days.

I just cannot understand why everyone is writing a TODO app these days.

Yes, they’re ten a penny. But there’s almost always room for better.

1 Like

I think your site is polished, it communicates well, and your onboarding is excellent.

But still, yet another TODO app? It will surely be hard to make decent money from it, even if you execute perfectly…

I noticed you use a freemium model. Are you willing to share if you are getting regular signups for paid plans?

No below the fold on my phone, just sign up and sign in

1 Like

Oh, indeed. (Android.)

It is a moniker of a goal. The goal could be to substitute your income, have more freedom, whatnot. Just building a SaaS that doesn’t pay for itself generates more responsibilities for you without giving you much in return.

You just got married, dude! Married to a selfish, demanding, attention-hungry thing.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback.

I noticed you use a freemium model. Are you willing to share if you are getting regular signups for paid plans?

Sure. The paid plan was switched on in December and it generated enough revenue to covers running costs straight away, which was nice. Cashflow is increasing by around 65% per month.

And what are those cost, BTW?

Around $220, split between hosting (Google) and customer comms (Intercom).

Just wanted to chime in to say that your signup process was pretty creative. Making the act of signing up a set of todos (with the first one being ‘choosing the best todo app’) that demonstrates your todo flow. Neat!

I feel like you’re going down a difficult road of monetizing a todo app, but I wish you the best of luck!

1 Like

Thanks! Some insights on that design: removing the need to click a ‘signup’ button almost doubled my signups.

1 Like