Introducing OverLook.io - Simple in-browser testing & QA management

Overlook.io puts structure around your in-browser testing and QA processes.

If you’ve ever opened your site or web app in a browser to make sure a screen looked good, a flow worked well, or your user stories were satisfied, you will benefit from Overlook.io.

Check it out at www.overlook.io and let me know what you think!

Sorry, but I have no idea what your app does, or what you are selling.

I am not a web developer, but wouldn’t you just open Firefox or something to check this? Am I missing something?

Thanks for the feedback. During the web development process, developers, testers, product owners, and others regularly “check the app for bugs”. There is little process around doing so. Overlook.io provides structure for that process to make sure the different use cases are covered every time someone runs through a test plan, versus relying strictly on memory for what to check, for example.

Seems like a nice idea.

Three things:

1. I’d change the name. I don’t want to overlook any test cases. I guess you mean in the sense of ‘have a view from above’. I don’t think that meaning works in this context. For me, overlook + testcases means I’ve missed test cases.
  2. Does it integrate with [my favourite bug tracker or test tool]? I’m not going to use a second. Have you considered making this an add-on to an existing tool? For example, this might work as a plugin for Jira. Or a Jira plugin for your browser.
  3. Having a live demo is great, but the live demo didn’t really help me understand the tool.

I just realised: You haven’t given an introduction about who you are.

The Show and Tell forum intro does say that you need to have participated in a few discussions before you can post. I don’t know if this is because of a bug, or the rules changed when the forum moved to the official discourse hosting.

It’s the first thing that came to my mind as well. I can see where it could work but I think most people’s first impression will look at it in the right context. Perhaps this will make it memorable?

I’d also consider changing your forum name here. I believe this discussion board is about the people, not the products.

Do you go by Over or Look? :smile:

I actually needed something exactly like the but feature set vs the pricing is a little too expensive for me. Unfortunately I just left the project last week so I can’t use this right now.

Right now your pricing tiers are simple limits on existing features and that sort of turns the developer in me off. I mean I know that having 10x the rows of data doesn’t cost 10x the price. :wink:

Also don’t like how the pricing will sort of stunt my productivity one day when I’m furiously working and then come up to a limit. I’d be a lot more interested to pay $30 for unlimited everything and then $60 for unlimited everything and trello/basecamp integration.

To give you a better idea of my use case I had two non-technical co-founders who didn’t “actively participate” in the development process. The QA load seriously impacted how much I could code because I’d also have to test. Asking them to test was awkward and they never managed to really help me out.

They’d ignore the software for months, not understand how it works and it would seriously impact sales and marketing.

I was looking for a product like this to not only get them more involved in the QA dev cycle but also sort of give them a window into how the software works. I don’t think managing the QA process is the main benefit of the software, thats boring and if you have a QA department you already have some gigantic bug tracker you’re using. I think getting other people easily involved in the QA process is the main benefit.

If my next venture succeeds I’d use this tool with a cheap VA, other subcontractors, non-technical co-founders or other non-techs I bring on instead of making them up to an unfriendly bug tracker or making them follow a google doc.

Sorry for the delay. Updated my profile with my real name. Also rolled out a bunch of updates, bug fixes, clarification (hopefully?) and newly simplified plans as well.

So far, the most prevalent use case seems to be small teams using OverLook.io to help facilitate non-technical folks providing meaningful, actionable feedback by following a pre-defined set of steps (read: tests).

Thanks for all the feedback so far. Happy to hear more of it or any questions.

Personal name updated! Sorry about that.

Thanks for the info about your use case. Definitely helps focus my perspective and frame the benefits. That was effectively my own user case when I started building it. Non-technical partner in another project that wanted to help as much as possible, but wasn’t sure how.