How should I start?

You’re probably right.

The reason I sound a bit pedantic (sorry) is because I do think there are a few too many “accepted truths” and dogma in our community these days. There are so, so many variables that decide whether we succeed or fail. For that reason, I do feel the best way forward with any idea, product, business, whatever, is to try stuff, test it, fix what’s broken, decide whether to continue as a continual learning process.

To that end, while one has to make a decision at some point what to do, so rules of thumb are useful to get started, you also have to trust your own path.

I totally get your point here. I agree with what you’re saying.

It’s a lot less about what are the rules, and getting everything lined up in the master plan from the get go, and a lot more to do with following your curiosity, trying, learning, adapting, and moving forwards.

That’s what we’re doing right now with our Startup expenses app. It’s very likely that it won’t work, but we’re gonna give it everything we’ve got in the short term, whilst we see whether that’s true or not. And either way we’ll be in a better place in a few months time.