Up until now I’ve been a “grumpy old man” when it comes to video.
I preferred writing and podcasting.
But video feels so big, it’s hard to ignore any longer:
- I’ve noticed lots of folks watching Facebook videos (on mute), just reading the captions.
- YouTube videos are showing up in Google search results for my products.
- This site says YouTube is the “second biggest search engine” although I can’t find a source
- Platforms like Twitch have millions of regular viewers.
So I’ve been experimenting.
Here are a few things I’ve tried so far:
- Using videos (like this one) on landing pages. (Mine used to be text + images only)
- A weekly live video show. Many of the episodes get 200+ views.
- Facebook video (with captions for muted watching).
- Cross-posting videos to Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat.
I’ll post results once I have more data.
One big hint: kids want to become YouTubers. It’s a big reason I’ve moved so much time from my writing schedule over to video production and editing. At the risk of stopping what works, I’ve now started making terrible YouTube videos.
My question for you folks: how are you using video as a marketing channel? What kind of results have you seen?