Hi, I'm Guillaume, let me introduce my mISV

Hi. My name is Guillaume, I’m a 28 yo microISV developer from France.
Having being fairly specialized worked in audio, video processing and 3D graphics I tend to present myself as a signal processing developer. But I also worked in maintenance, generalist firefighting modes.

I’ve started my first business in the desktop audio software market in March 2015.
https://www.auburnsounds.com

So I do everything. For now the money comes from the State which give you 2 years of runway (yes), also personal savings. Had a few sales through Gumroad.

I had already 3 free (average) products and it’s useful to collect e-mails, but I’ve found it very difficult to sell my commercial one. Distributors say very niche products are hard to market, so there is that.
Despite being something pretty interesting and new in my opinion (that isn’t worth much), there is so much software releases it’s hard to get through and bring awareness.

So I’m always on the lookout for any advices for growth!

I’m very happy to have found this community of people living the same struggle, personally this is pure bliss. :slight_smile:

I’m also doing technical-looking logos if you need one: http://gamesfrommars.fr/hand-made-svg-logos/

1 Like

Getting enough attention from the right people in a cost effective way is generally the hardest thing about any business.

My experience is that the more niche/specific your product is, the easier it is to market.

Also you generally don’t need distributors and other middle men in 2016.

3 Likes

As a former sound engineer/producer/bass player (and someone who’s graduate thesis was on signal processing) I root for you with all my heart man :slight_smile:

Narrow niches are easy to market, just like Andy said. Sound engineers still use old-school forums/message boards/IRC groups sometimes even news channels (like in “usenet newsgroups”).

You can also try approaching sound producers directly, offer them free/discounted version to promote your product on their websites. This scene in France is pretty amazing, lots and lots of talented people… Like Chris Joss, “Dimitry from Paris” or even try David Guetta why not…

Also, I would differentiate on the prices/licenses a little bit (like , “solo”, “band”, “studio”) and work on your site’s funnel. There’s no primary CTA on your homepage, too many distractions etc.

Good luck!

Just curious how this works?

Thanks @jitbit for the kind words.
I’m really uneasy reading the “niche” advice here.
Intersecting too many niches (music producers that ALSO happen to sing AND buy plugins) has been a lesson I do not wish to reproduce. It makes it very difficult to connect to your target.
The next plugin will have an appeal to all music producers (even those who don’t buy, free + paying upgrade seems to be the new trend) and will provide many features.
The website converts well for the mailing-list at least, the homepage is busy but everywhere you click it leads to a landing. The buying funnel does seem right though and I don’t get why, which is a concern.

@Rhino: while you work in France you contribute to a mutualized fund that pay people during unemployment (different from the one for retirement). It is possible to accumulate up to 2 years of money, ~70% of previous salaries. So living on that money while creating a business is pretty standard around here, it’s even encouraged by the State. OTOH, in France as you may know both the employer and employee get heavily taxed and programmer salary are lower that in the US, I was working for ~ $40k which was still an absurdly good pay around here.