Forum DKIM and SPF mail records not present

I noticed in my emails from here that the DKIM and SPF records in DNS are not set up:

Received-SPF: permerror (google.com: permanent error in processing during lookup of bootstrapped@userscape.com) client-ip=64.71.148.3;
Authentication-Results: mx.google.com;
       spf=permerror (google.com: permanent error in processing during lookup of bootstrapped@userscape.com) smtp.mail=bootstrapped@userscape.com;
       dkim=temperror (no key for signature) header.i=@

This means you need to add those DKIM and SPF records for the userscape.com domain since that’s the return email address.

https://meta.discourse.org/t/configure-your-domain-for-discourse-hosted-email/14177

If you’d rather set it up on the bootstrapped.fm domain then change the return email in site settings to noreply@bootstrapped.fm or similar.

If you need any assistance with this let me know!

Bump to @ian and @imsickofmaps

Sorry - just seen this @andrey - @ian will need to address this on his end but I think from my tools that they have an SPF so ¯_(ツ)_/¯

If I may assist as I’ve recently been doing a ton of this.

Looks like the SPF record is correct, and points to mailgun.org. However, the DKIM is separate from SPF. It would have to be set as the documentation states. Since it looks like you’re using Mailgun, I would suggest setting this up as a separate domain from userscape. But either way, you can have multiple DKIM TXT records since they are subdomain specific (discourse._domainkey specifically).

Here’s what the headers look like in the email notifications I got for this topic:

Received-SPF: none (google.com: noreply@bootstrapped.fm does not designate permitted sender hosts) client-ip=2001:470:1:3c2::b;
Authentication-Results: mx.google.com;
       spf=none (google.com: noreply@bootstrapped.fm does not designate permitted sender hosts) smtp.mail=noreply@bootstrapped.fm;
       dkim=temperror (no key for signature) header.i=@

This means very few emails will get through until DNS is updated :frowning: :cry:

It appears between you starting the topic and now the “from address” in settings has been shifted from bootstrapped@userscape.com to noreply@bootstrapped.fmuserscape.com is fine on SPF now but bootstrapped.fm isn’t :slight_smile:

hopefully @ian can sort that out on his side.