Entrepreneurs don’t have a special gene for risk

Interesting article:

But what often gets lost in these conversations is that the most common shared trait among entrepreneurs is access to financial capital—family
money, an inheritance, or a pedigree and connections that allow for
access to financial stability. While it seems that entrepreneurs tend to
have an admirable penchant for risk, it’s usually that access to money which allows them to take risks.

In my experience they come from dysfunctional families first and foremost. Middle to upper middle class for the tech entrepreneurs I know, but then again I don’t know any plumbers so wouldn’t be surprised if they come from dysfunctional lower middle class families.

1 Like

Sherry Walling did a talk at last years microconf where she said that evidence shows people with a middle-of-the-road attitude to risk were more likely to succeed as entrepreneurs than those who took big risks or the risk averse.

3 Likes

Honestly! you are somewhat right on the fact that money is important for a successful business, but there are also some young entrepreneurs like Varun Manian who have despite of coming from a successful family business background started his own business and have made it big in the real estate market in India.

I don’t think it has to do with risk but more with being able to deal with uncertainty… or uncertain outcomes. No one enters into something when their risk threshold is reached however some even though the risk seems manageable won’t go into business because of the uncertainty of the outcome…

Certainty comes with a pay cheque … I guess that the reason why I am an entrepreneur is I don’t mind not knowing how I am going to make myself that cheque… if I believe the risk is manageable…