What an amazing community, can't believe it took this long to find it. The knowledge put together here is blowing my mind! I wrote a blog post on our site about bootstrapping from Medellin, Colombia. Geniusly Blog
This post was generated from a blog post written by David Cummings 10,000 Startup Hours blog about taking on 300k Investment and running your startup from Atlanta. Here's a link to his blog.
Since I wrote that piece earlier this year, I have since joined 500 Startups in Mexico City, and did the move to first Guadalajara, Mexico and now I'm in Mexico City. There are some major differences to South America and Mexico, soon I will indeed write a few full fledged blog posts on them, but for now I'll quickly summarize what Mexico is all about.
Guadalajara startup scene is a lot more close knit, Mexico City, is such a huge city, the scene here, though very good, isn't as close...but it is a lot bigger. Night life, restaurants, and all there is to do here in Mexico City, well in Mexico in general, is amazing! If your market is very US focused, Mexico is too, it's a mere 3.5 hour flight to California if you need to have access to Silicon Valley, which is actually a big bonus over South America, the flight from South America will pretty much chew up a full day.
Here's how we are living on the financial side of things.
- 3 Bedroom fully furnished apartment in La Condesa (very cool, safe
neighborhood, with lot's of restaurants, gyms, bars, shopping cafe's
and the like).
- $1500 Utilities (internet, tv, phone, lights, gas,
- 10 Minute walk to work (free), or you can join EcoBici - $35 a month for a bike, they store them all over the city, you simply swipe your EcoBici card and collect your bike.
- Food - you can live off of $3 a day here easily, as well $300, the gastronomical choices are amazing. But the street food culture here is outstanding, and extremely economical.
- Drinks, beer $1 and all the way up.
Mexico City is a lot like NYC or LA in many ways, but unlike big cosmopolitan cities, you have the option to live cheaply here.
Again, so happy to come across this community!