a monitoring tool for AWS, which:
- shows inventory across multiple accounts (inventory = EC2 instances and other resources)
- groups inventory by tags (tag = environment)
- shows basic metrics for the instance (usage, bandwidth, etc)
- shows billing details across multiple accounts in dynamic (last month, current month, next month, projection for full year)
- a bunch of bells and whistles such as notifications, etc.
There is a single dashboard displaying everything above.
The tool can be installed on-premise if needed.
The key here is a fixed pricing model (3 tiers). Similar tools charge $15 per EC2 instance per month, and a little less for managed resources, such as RDS, ELB, etc. Amazon Cloud Watch is (mostly) free but it does not aggregate inventory and billing across multiple accounts in a single dashboard.
We have developed tool internally to manage AWS inventory for one of our client’s (10 accounts, 300 active instances) and it is saving them ~ 100K a year.