This question is for folks who are already selling a complicated product to solve a complicated problem. So, think “Accounting system” not HTML editor.
What approaches are you taking to deal with a selling a complex solution to a complex problem?
- Do you offer trials?
- Do you do webinars?
- Are videos helpful?
Am I missing another approach?
I’ve realized, after 20 years of success!, that our product (speech therapy software) is a complex service. Or, at least it 's complex to get started. They have to know which of our 19 programs to start with and at what levels. (So, it’s hundreds of possible “starting points”). Normally a speech therapist would actually need to diagnose them. Even with a diagnosis they have to translate that into that starting point.
- Our software treats speech & language Deficits. That means hundreds of possible scenarios. This is a Non Trivial Challenge. Normally a skilled speech therapist with 6 years of schooling and hundreds of hours of practice would do a diagnostic evaluation. I’m trying to guide them through this. So, non-trivial.
- The user doesn’t understand which Deficit they have. They have a hard time even describing them clearly. (E.g., if I ask “does the patient have difficulty thinking of the right word to say” and I’ll get a reply " No. They know exactly what they want to say, they just can’t say it". I do now have a standard set of questions I ask in an interview. But even then, they often don’t understand and I have to ask the question again in another way to confirm.
- Even when the user understands the Deficits they don’t really know how severe they are.
- If we can get through all of that then there is the issue of selecting the right programs and choosing the right difficulty levels. (This is where we could improve the software. But that is a non trivial problem as well. And it does not solve problem 1-3.)
- They answer some questions in a form and we recommend some programs.
- But it’s very easy for them to answer incorrectly for the reasons above.
- Downloading and installing and running the programs is a lot of steps and easy for them to get lost of just abandon one.
- Even though people who get through #3 run the risk of trying the wrong program or the wrong difficulty level (too easy “this is not helpful” or too hard "this is frustrating) and then thinking that is how ALL the levels and ALL the programs are. (I hear this a LOT despite having reminders everywhere “there are OTHER programs”.
The good news is that they are so hungry for help that our LTV easily supports my spending 30 minutes with them. And I love doing it. I get to see my software helping them.
Currently we have a free trial but I am planning to remove that and replace with:
[View Demo] ----> Page that asks: Does your survivor want more therapy?
(we just sort of store that answer).
Then we show a questionnaire where they choose what they need.
Show a list of programs, with demo video of each one.
If they answered qualifier question above, Y, then we we offer a free Tour button next to each program.
Takes to page that says " Signup for a free Tour. We’ll email you when the next ones are available, or subscribe now, get a free Tour as soon as you like, first week is free"